Every individual is different in every aspect. Growth and development of a child is influenced by the varied factors around. This difference is due to the variation in physical environment, cultural background, learning style, their adaption to the changing environment, etc.
Now-a-days, due to changing standards of people, and access to the technology, the world has come closer. Nonetheless, as everything has its own pros and cons, likewise there are some negative effects on individual’s (adults as well as the children) social, emotional and mental health.
As we are dealing with young learners let us see what are the various reasons that lead to social anxiety in children –
- Poor eating habits or changes in eating habits: Changes in eating habits or poor eating habits has a lot of effect on the health of the child.
- Poor routine: A routine should be developed. Routine helps children to know their daily pattern which ultimately makes them prepared.
- Abuse/ bullying/trauma: Abuses and trauma can have effect on the child’s health.
Some of the symptoms of social anxiety are as follow –
- Anxiety caused due to separation
- Physical health issues
- Mood swings
- Lack of confidence and shaky voice
Ways to help child with social anxiety –
- Talk to them: As facilitators we need to talk with them. Communication is the key to all the problems. Teachers and parents should constantly speak to the child.
- Involve them in activities and games: Play is very important for the children. Children learn a lot through play. It is no doubt the essential part of childhood. So through play and games teachers can help children to overcome social anxiety.
- Breathing exercise/ meditation: Meditation, breathing exercise and some of the physical exercise help the child to maintain mental peace. It increases their concentration power.
- Give them opportunities to express: Children should be given opportunities to express themselves. They should be encouraged to express their emotions and feelings.
- Professional help: If the situation is intense then we can go for professional help.
When you are dealing with pre – primary learners, kindergarten learners, primary learners, etc. it is very important to deal with such issues very carefully with great concern. Social anxiety is common these days even among the children. Young children are unaware of the solutions and thus needs proper guidance with how this should be dealt.
There are certain teaching aids that a teacher needs to know to have smooth functioning of the classroom with efficient and effective teaching – learning process. For the teaching aids, a teacher should abide by the 21st-Century teaching skills thus to encourage child skills and make use of them to its full potential. This is not possible with the skills that teacher has not upgraded or teaches with the old traditional method of teaching.
Teachers need to have proper knowledge about children psychology, teaching aids and 21st-Century skills so that such issues can be carefully handled. And for this, teacher need to constantly keep on upgrading them to the latest skills and programs.
Also, parents should be made aware of various strategies that help children to overcome their anxiety. Teachers can set quarterly meeting session with parents and can individual communicate with all parents. Teacher and parent together can help children resist their issue.
Pre-primary education in India is now changing from traditional way and meeting the international standards. Hence, it is very important to make our children to be competent and develop them to their full potential. We can conclude by saying that by love, care and empathy we can help them recover. When parents and teachers collectively help children to overcome anxiety, it also helps them to create bond and make the bond stronger. Embrace confidence and creativity so that we are great examples for learners.
Written By : Gargi Sen